Thursday, October 16, 2008

response to THE TIMES OF HARVEY MILK

So last week I checked out The Times of Harvey Milk and I was really excited about seeing it considering my interest in social docs and gay rights. I watched the beginning of it about four times because I would end up becoming distracted by something else. I eventually finished only an hour of the film and i was already either tearing up or just enraged. This is a good film to see if you want to open your mind to a history of the gay community speaking out as well as coming out.
I watched this film with my dear friend Brett, whom I've mentioned before. He is an openly gay male and he was acutally very sad and angry at the end of this film because it opened his eyes to the torment of the history of a community he relates to the most. I wasn't sure how to react, though. I simply felt enlightened about the topic and i thought the film was great. It is, indeed, a good film because it was the power to arouse different emotions out of different people.
This film also made Brett and I want to see MILK as soon as it comes out. It is going to be very dramatic.
Photobucket

3 comments:

E. Spiro said...

What a GREAT photograph of Harvey Milk, our cultural hero of the semester. David, where did you find this photo? Who took it and what is the story behind it? Was the photographer a friend of Milk?

Prof. Spiro

David said...

Ellen, this is actually Pruitt's post but I do agree this is a really nice photo of Harvey.

Anonymous said...

I watched the documentary and really enjoyed it. I thought it was well done and really made you feel like you knew Harvey through all of the interviews with his friends. It really blows your mind to know how something as terrible as the senseless murder of not one but two public officials can be dismissed so easily by the court. My favorite shot of the movie was of the candle light vigil that took place following the murder of Harvey and the Mayor. It literally looked like the candle lit streets went on forever. It was a beautiful sight. I also love how the city came together on that night to support one another. I am really looking forward to seeing the feature MILK, the trailer of MILK is what inspired me to watch the documentary, and it was definitely worth it.