Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Michael Moore's Origininal Critique of Corporate Mores

Last week I checked out Ellen's copy of Roger & Me, which happens to be Michael Moore's first documentary. I have seen several other Moore documentaries, including the most recent Sicko, and I was very interested in watching the film in which the infamous documentarian's unique style originated.
The film tracks the economic impact of General Motors CEO Roger Smith's shut down several large automobile factories in Moore's home town of Flint, Michigan. Throughout the film, Moore attempts to have an interview with Roger Smith, in order to talk with the CEO about the impact of his actions. The filmmaker is ultimately unsucessful in acheiving this task, despite having made several attempts to talk with the corporate head. I was amazed by how little Michael Moore's documentary style has changed over the years. Moore is the star of this documentary, as he is in every subsequent film he's made. 
Undoubtedly, Moore's style has been a popular one, which never ceases to entertain and engage his now large fan base. I too must say I was entertained by Roger & Me,  and amazed at the storytelling ability of the then first-time filmmaker. The film was tightly edited to great effect, evoking a powerful, somber mood, in regards to the town of Flint, Michigan. The distraught residents' stories provided largely unintentional humor, humor that almost seemed cruel at some times. But hey, that's life.
I've never been a fan of Moore's politics, but I've always admired the filmmaker's ability to convey his message so effectively. Roger & Me serves as the first entry in a series of documentaries that seek out social change. While I'm no fan of Moore pesonally, I still praise him for his efforts, and I nevertheless enjoyed this interesting (and still powerful) initial film.

Interesting Note: I am taking Intro to Producing this semester with John Pierson. Pierson worked as a producer's rep on Roger & Me, helping sell it to Warner Brothers for an astoundimg three million dollars. Thusly, Pierson knows a wealth of information about the film (and he claims to this day that Michael actually got not one, but two interview with Roger Smith). If anybody is interested in learning about the production of Roger & Me, I'd be happy to field any questions to Mr. Pierson.

3 comments:

Ellen S said...

Jason,

I'd like to know more about MM's attempt to get an interview with Roger Moore and the evidence that he did get those interviews. I've heard this is a false rumor but I have not seen any evidence to prove it either way.

E. Spiro

Huda said...

I got a chance to watch this this week, and I thought it was very interesting. The one pattern I noticed in this film is the idea that people will do anything to survive. And unfortunately, the result isn't too pretty. What I wonder is who or what is at fault? The individuals or the system itself?

In this documentary, Michael Moore villifies Roger Smith, and those who are well-off who either are ignorant or do not care for those who are not. What I wonder is perhaps the real villain isn't Roger Smith, but the system that encourages him to make these unethical choices that damage so many lives...to some it may be capitalism, or just the way that corporations operate in our country.

The irony in this film is extremely effective though. There was a scene of elder women playing golf, who then go on to agree that those who are poor or unemployed are just trying to look for an easy way out. And yet, here these women are...playing golf. Now that's something that isn't too challenging, is it?

From a story-telling perspective, this film really was amazing. And the above anecdote adds to its effect. But what I like the most is that this documentary provoked so much thought, and that makes it really worthwhile to watch.

Anonymous said...

This is the first Michael Moore Film that I have ever seen, and to be honest it made me want to go watch all of his others. It was very affective at telling the story of his home town's misfortunes and edited very crisply. His technique of always being in his films work very well, he has a great sense of humor and really brings that to the film. His films would not be nearly as entertaining if he were not in them. Overall good documentary, not the best I've seen this semester, but certainly kept my attention.