Monday, October 13, 2008

A Government-Funded Anarchy Doc - Wait, What?

Earlier this evening, I attended a screening of the documentary Anarchism in America (1983) hosted by the Libertarian Longhorns (an organization of which I am a member). The film was made by two anarchists, Steven Fischler and Joe Sucher, during the heyday of the Reagan Revolution. Everyone in the audience laughed when a title card came up at the beginning of the documentary, stating that the film was funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities. This is ironic (for obvious reasons), considering that anarchists are completely opposed to any form of government. You might rationalize the filmmakers' funding choice as working within the system.
As far as the actual documentary is concerned, i found it a bit unfocused, and at times, a bit boring. This film is one filled with talking heads, and these heads aren't always all that interesting. And to be honest, I think that even the most interesting interviews should still be peppered with b-roll cutaways (but this is just my opinion). In terms of focus, i think the lack thereof can in part be attributed to the filmmakers taking on a big subject. This is one of those films that tries to capture a movement, but doing so, unfortunately, is a monumental task. As we've learned in class, it helps to localize an issue, to personalize it if you will. Not only does this raise the emotional stakes, but it also inevitably focuses the documentary to a great extent.
I could spend several other paragraphs talking about the film's other problems (ie the aesthetic flaws), but overall, I must say that I rather enjoyed Anarchism in America. While I don't consider myself an anarchist, as a Libertarian, I still identified with much of what the anarchist movement stands for. For all you punk fans out there (this doesn't include me), the Dead Kennedys make an appearance, via concert and primitive interviews, espousing their radical ideology to all that will listen. There's also plenty of interesting archival footage, including a segment of a man destroying various food items with a hammer.
While I realize that this film might only appeal to a certain audience, I recommend it to anybody who is interested in politics (and unusual politics, at that). Flawed films can teach us a lot about what not to do, while also being entertaining. I take comfort in this notion, realizing that if I make a failure of a film, at least those who watch it will learn something. But let's hope that doesn't happen!

Note: This film is also available online at google video! I guess you just can't keep films off the internet these days. Anyways, here's the link, if you're so inclined: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5896151564855675002

No comments: