Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Production Report #2

Alright, so I've progressed a little further (thankfully) with my project...I actually managed to edit the first minute-woo hoo! But I've suffered writer's block the past couple of days. I know what's my message...I know what I want to say, but I'm having trouble finding the words and style in conveying it without it sounding too cliche.

So to remind everybody once again, my topic is simply to help recall the aftermath of natural disasters like Hurricane Ike and Katrina in the US, then use that experience in understanding the disastrous situation in Iraq and perhaps other war-torn regions, especially in spite of the framing by the administration and media (referring to Iraqi reaction and response as "rebellious," etc.)

The first minute of my doc is a montage of audio clips from Hurricane Ike...I transition into Iraq with a quote from a blog about Hurricane Ike: "48 hours of this was already tiring me out. 4 days of powerlessness is making my friends and neighbors angry and upset. Months and months or years and years would fuel a rebellion."

My idea is just to use voice-over to reflect some of my thoughts like the ones above...like an open diary. But I'm not sure if that's the best approach. I have no interviews, just some footage clips of Iraq, Katrina...and what I have isn't enough I believe. So I thought maybe I should work with pictures as well? The next question is what pictures could I legally include? A lot of the good ones are from Associated Press...but if there are any other suggestions, I would really appreciate it! I'm really trying to look for imagery of everyday life in regions like Iraq (lack of electricity and water for example)...

Any advice would be really helpful in general...thanks!

-Huda

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

are you planning on including any interviews from people in austin who have lived in iraq? Is the majority of the piece form your point of view? I think I remember you saying you were going to do a sort of Michael Moore-ish doc.

Huda said...

unfortunately, no interviews :( looks like its going to be from my point of view...i guess we'll see if that works or not. i finished assembling most of it with my voice-over this week, and now i'm going to start fine editing...the only thing i'm a little worried about tho is that my video clips may be a little blury for the big screen...