Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The what I've learned post.

Documentary is difficult but spontaneous.

What I most learned in this class was to pay attention to the things around me. When we started with our first assignments, I really felt inspired by a lot of the short pieces we all screened. So many little things happen throughout our day that we may take for granted. So I learned to be observant, and lately I've been jotting down anything interesting that I see, to later develop a story or character with.

What I learned about my documentary was, that I needed to give myself more time. I was overwhelmed this semester by the classes that I took concurrently. I ended up scrambling for time and energy as the semester went on. I think this semester has really kicked my ass but in a good way. With my doc, I learned how to make something out of nothing. Literally, when I sat down with my footage, I was stumped. I had no idea how to create a story out of what I had. I knew who my character was, and I just had to figure out what I wanted to tell everyone about him.

I certainly wish I had more time to devote to this project, I feel like I could of done so much more, however, shorter and tighter sometimes is better. I feel like I may have overcomplicated the story if I had had more time.

I certainly stand by the idea that you can't learn how to make a documentary without making one yourself. I liked the rawness of it all, and the uncertainty almost killed me but at the same time it allowed me more creativity.

In all, I learned how to develop stories through my point of view.

1 comment:

Ellen S said...

You chose a strong character with a very compelling story. If you had been able to work more consistently, you might have been happier with the final outcome. Sometimes the reality of juggling classes conflicts with the incredibly demanding needs of a documentary. ES