Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Nuggets of Wisdom Learned Over a Semester

Wow, what a great semester we’ve had! It seems like these past few months just flew by (probably because we were all so busy scrambling to finish our respective projects). Before I started this class, I thought I knew a good bit about making documentaries. I’d made a few before, and thought I’d figured out the craft (at least to a certain degree). Man, was I wrong. RTF 366k has been a huge learning experience for me, and I’m sure it has been for everyone else as well.

 The following are ten or so Documentary Commandments I took away from this class:

 

1.         Thou shalt know how to use equipment before beginning shooting.

2.         Thou shalt acquire equipment before scheduling any shooting.

3.         Thou shalt always have a backup plan, as life is unpredictable, and thing can and WILL fall    apart.

4.         Thou shalt take advantage of a documentary opportunity if it comes your way (in other words,     you never know what might make a good documentary, so consider all of your options).

5.         Thou shalt leave enough time for post.

6.         Thou shalt not edit documentaries in a vacuum (get feedback if necessary, as it helps).

7.        Thou shalt make sure that your documentary subject is accessible.

8.        Thou shalt maintain a good relationship with said documentary subject (regular phone calls or e-mails are a must).

9.         Thou shalt think about structure when editing (structure is everything in my book).

10.     Thou shalt refrain from expecting too much, in terms of how a documentary will turn out.

11.   Thou shalt respect Michael Moore as a filmmaker (even if you disagree with his politics).

12.     Thou shalt not take Ellen Spiro’s name in vain.

 That is all. If anybody has any other commandments, feel free to add them!

Thanks for a great semester everybody, and I’ll be seeing many of you again next semester for advanced documentary. Merry Christmas!

 

-Jason