Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Production Report (Come on, it's not too late)

After weeks of not hearing from this Health Education Promoter who does talks about study drugs, he got back to me and I was able to get an interview. I've cut about 8 minutes worth of my documentary and now the question is do I put him in? This is always the problem when putting together a short film on a complex topic. Since my doc is looking more like a portrait of the study drug phenomenon, with the voices of the people involved, he might end up looking like a bluntly authoritative talking head. I guess I could use his audio as a voice over for topic exposition. But I wanted a more technical sounding figure and he didn't end up embodying that.

The archival footage I thought was so awesome and so vast ended up looking really strange intercut with my interviews so I had to throw it out. A good interview also went down the drain when I discovered that the audio (even though I used a lav) sounded horrible. I keep experiencing the lessons Ellen and Kim tried to steer us clear of.

These are just some problems I'm having and I thought you all might find comfort in my misery since you might be having them too. With this little time left I'm sure I'll be forced to throw myself onto the right track. I just hope a train isn't coming.

1 comment:

Jason W said...

Nice report, Lauren. I think you're right about us sharing in your misery. Actually, I don't know if I'd call what I feel misery, but I'm certainly experiencing my fair share of Final Cut issues. Thankfully I've resolved most of them, but it's safe to say that these few remaining nights of editing will be relatively sleepless ones.