Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What I Learned

With film being a very recent and new point of focus I have felt very behind in most aspects. RTF 318 was the first time that I've ever really had a camera in my hand, with that being said RTF 366k is actually the first time i've ever really used a camera to tell a story. So for me it was extremely beneficial just to get out there and make a film. This film is the first one I've ever made and really enjoyed it. I learned a lot about cameras and lighting and sound as well. I learned the basics of final cut, through a lot of trial and error, and I got the chance to experience many different styles of documentaries throughout the semester. I learned how important it is to build relatiionships with your subject not, only to learn more about them but to enhance their comfortability on screen. I've also learned how important good sound is since I had so much trouble with wind on my shoot. I recently discovered during the course of this class that I love cinematography. Its something I'd really like to explore further through documentaries like Visions of Light etc. Most importantly I've learned that there is no limit to what a documentary can be. All it takes is a simple idea.

Furthermore, I've not only learned from Ellen and Kim this semester, but also from the many talented people who I shared the class with. I've really enjoyed seeing all of your work and can't wait for advanced doc next semester!

1 comment:

Ellen S said...

Yes, what a talented class we had! I think you did well on your first project; however, I think that if you were able to get inside the story of the recycling center and inside the life of your main character, it would have been much stronger. That is not so much about technical skill, but about the skill of working with people and building trust to allow the story to emerge and go beyond the surface. The final piece you presented is one step in a process that could be continued if you want to refine your doc into a complete story with character development, narrative progression etc...
ES