Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Lesson #1: Problems Make Progress

No matter what, each film you make will always present to you a new plethora of problems you must overcome. I have come to realize this. And although these problems may get smoother the more experienced are, they are always there to haunt you...or to teach you, depending on how you look at it (are you a half full cup person or half empty?) For me, I like to look at each and every problem as a step to becoming a better filmmaker, and although I get stressed out at times (I am have been known at times to curse at my computer) I know that I will not make the same mistake twice.

One of the most important things I learned this semester were on the grounds of accessibility: how to confront and get somebody to partake in a project, getting permission to shoot more in depth in your subject's life etc. It terms of confronting, I spent an entire month trying to obtain consent to do a documentary about boxing. It ended up not coming to fruition. Looking back I believe the best way to present an idea is to physically meet the person on the first contact--no email, no phone call. Had I just went to the gym from the get-go it may have worked out. As for accessibility, my second project idea turned out well because I had full accessibility. I could shoot/do whatever I pleased. This left the creative door wide open. Having a solid relationship with your subject is critical.

Lastly, I came to realize that with some docs, especially with event docs like mine, it is extremely important to know exactly the way everything works before you actually shoot. Having a complete understanding of an event, per se, will help you make a cohesive and logical documentary. It was my first time ever at a speech tournament when I went to A&M, and I was flying by the seat of my pants the whole time. I was learning about the event at the same pace the audience was; whatever he said to the camera was new information to me. This should not have been the case, I should have known most everything that was going to happen before it happened.

Overall, there is a huge number of things this class taught me. Too much to name. What is important, however, is that I DID learn a lot, and I know as a result I am coming out of this class a more experienced, and, hopefully, a better filmmaker. I think we all are. Anyway, I had a great semester with y'all and anyone who is taking Advanced Doc. next semester I'll see you in January!

2 comments:

John said...

My background is television news and although telling stories for that medium is not the same as making a documentary film, it's great training and I'd recommend it to anyone who seriously aspires to be a documentary film maker.

You learn how to work efficiently. You also learn how to work when you can't pre-plan a shoot. No matter how much preparation you do, things will rarely go as planned.

You also learn how to knock on doors to get people to talk to you who might not have wanted to before you showed up.

Ellen S said...

Alex, You pulled off your final project in great form. Your character is amazing and your method of shooting through the little window the scenes I assume you were not allowed to officially film worked great. Hallelujah for wireless mics! If you had more time, it could have been even better but you did great within your time constraints.

ES